Monday 22 July 2013

What a trip!

I have now spent over 24 hours resting off of my bicycle. Weirdly enough I do miss being on the trip but the break from my bicycle is definitely needed. Our ferry ride was very relaxing, although I still have not gained my "sea legs" yet. We had a beautiful last ride into Sydney, again the sun was shining and for the most part a tail wind. I have to mention though we did have an interesting last night in Newfoundland, high winds and heavy rain. The next day we actually had fog and a massive head wind but we only had 25 k to ride so it wasn't too bad.

This trip has now completed my journey across Canada which I started in the summer of 2002. I now have to cycle the territories (but not for a while);) We were so fortunate for beautiful weather, tail winds, friendly and generous Newfoundlanders, safe drivers, no accidents and spectacular scenery. I feel so fortunate to be able to ride my bicycle every day on a journey like this and see Canada this way. I also feel so fortunate to be Canadian and live in such a beautiful country with so many kind people. I am so glad I chose Newfoundland for this trip, it was perfect tour!..Puffy also agrees with all of the above;)

Before ending my adventure story, I would like to thank all of my family and friends who have supported me during this trip and all of my cycling journeys. Thank you especially to my parents who never doubted my ability to do adventures like this trip, they have always been excited for me. I would also like to thank my husband for joining the trip when he could, then taking a bus to a random place in Newfoundland and then cycling out to meet us, he always trusts me. I missed having my fearless stepsister who I have done most of my long rides with but I really enjoyed my two new cycling touring pals...so many laughs!

I'd like to thank all of the generous people I met along the way and shared Phoebe's story with and who donated to Childhood Cancer Canada, you all wonderful people and I will never forget your kindness and your stories you shared with me. If you still need ideas for how to help, please check out the tab on my blog.

Lastly, I'd like to thank Phoebe Rose for inspiring me to get on my bike everyday and appreciate the world in a new way. Phoebe, you were my rock!

Enjoy the pictures of us on the last few days of the trip!


Camping at Fitzgerald's Pond Park near Argentia

Cycling in the fog towards the ferry


Wearing my safety vest and tutu...no way a car could not see me


Seven islands near Placentia


Oour ship for 17 hours from Argentia to North Sydney


Completing the full circle and back in Sydney, Cape Breton with the World's Largest Fiddle

No comments:

Post a Comment